Monday, December 27, 2004

Putting the Past Behind You

With 2004 almost out of the way, it's important that we reflect on our past to improve on the future. To some extent, this means you have to put the past behind you, i.e. the bad experiences and so forth. As long as you are able to retrieve a valuable lesson from an experience, then I believe that experience, whether bad or good, has served you well. I believe this applies to all matters large and small, whether it be the September 11th attacks, or personal issues. I understand this is easier said than done, and sometimes fear and anger can hinder rational thought...President Bush being a perfect example.

The recent catastrophic events in Asia has reminded me to value life, and my personal relationships much more. Even though I may not know those who were killed in this natural disaster, I know it was someone's parent, child, grandparent, friend, or significant other who was taken away. I'll be in Thailand one week from now, and will attempt to volunteer in any way possible. I was planning to do so anyway, and this disaster gives me even more reason to do so.

I would also like to pose the question, how different is a terrorist attack from a natural disaster? Both are unpredictable, and difficult to prevent. However, with sufficient preparation, the losses of lives and economic damages can surely be minimized. Yet, as a society, we have invested so much more in mitigating the losses of a terrorism than that of a natural disaster - which I believe has a far more devastating impact.

I'm sorry to have side track from stories of my personal travels, but today I decided to take it easier than normal. Since Steph had work today, I spent today by myself in Yokosuka. I walked most of the streets, mainly just looking at people and observing the culture. I love people watching... although some might call it staring. :) I also did a bit of shopping at the 100 yen store and Uni-Glo which is a GAP like store. The 100 yen store is similar to the dollar store, but actually 100 yen is equivalent to $1.20 CAD. The only difference is that the 100 yen store carries cool Japanese nick-nacks. You could purchase anything from underwear to tuna for 100 yen!! I exhibited tremendous will power as I only purchased 1200 yen worth of stuff - mainly candy :) hehehe. I wanted to buy more, but then I knew that I didn't really need those items, so I didn't purchase them. Now, if I had an endless supply of storage space, that would have been a different story!!

I also succumbed to the call of Starbucks - I was craving a Mocha Frappucino and I figured that Japan would be the last opportunity to have a taste of this wicked treat. I was slightly disappointed because it wasn't as good as I remembered, and they didn't have mint syrup.

I'll end today's blog with a story that someone once told me:

There are two monks, and a woman crossing a river by foot. The woman has trouble crossing the river, and monk A picks up the woman to help her cross. As you know, monks are not allowed to touch women, nor think about them. As the two monks continue their walk in the forest, Monk B says to Monk A: "Why did you help that woman? You are not allowed to.. that's very bad!", Monk B replied: "At least I left the woman behind me when I finished helping her, while you are still carrying her on your mind".

Moral of the story: Thinking about negative thing can be a burden to your personal self, let it go. Or in simple Nhung language, "Don't Worry, Be Happy!".


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home