Saturday, February 05, 2005

Political Riots, and more..

Political Riots...
Tomorrow will mark the end of all this crazy campaigning that is happening in Bangkok. I've been surprisingly very interested in this election, because of all the issues that are arising, such as scandals revolving around buying votes, falsely eliminating candidates, and very crude speeches. For the past few weeks, from my bedroom window I have been hearing roars of cheers, and grunts from people who are either happy, or unhappy with the politicians running. It is an interesting dynamic to witness. One of the major issues that is arising is the possibility of one government party taking over (i.e. there will be no opposition party). The general fear among the public is that with only one party in power, that party will be able to easily override balance and check systems (which Thai politicians are known for)... so in short, the thais are afraid of increased corruption.

If Thaksin is voted in for a second term tomorrow, there is great fear of violent outbreak. The atmosphere is intense as officers are preparing for riots and so forth, particularly in the South where Thaksin is least popular. People are so afraid, that those who live outside of Thailand to work are reluctant to return home tomorrow to vote.

The "and more" part...
For those who know me, will know that I love to eat! Thai food has definitely been an adventure for the taste buds, but I was really craving some good-old fashion western food.

The Potluck

I had a pot-luck party at the apartment yesterday. Oh my goodness, it felt so good to sink my teeth in something other than noodles, and rice. In particular, the pastas, and dips were my favourite. :) Thanks team Canada for that!

There was a wide selection of food, we had everything from Thai dessert to mcdonald's (americans!)... I've posted the pictures below.

The bad part about hosting a party is the clean up, i spent a good 4 hours cleaning up after everyone left yesterday... gross!!

back to doing HOMEWORK....

1 Comments:

At 5:52 AM , Blogger littlemisskool said...

hey nhung, i love reading your blog too. funny AND insightful; can't beat that!! anyway yes i am incredibly conflicted right now and don't have the balls to tell anyone directly, cheap as that sounds, unfortunately.

btw, i haven't edited my homepage in forever, so just for the record, my "friends with blogs" links page is incredibly out of date; otherwise you and a lot of other people would be on there too :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home