Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Impermanency

I didn't even know this was a real word until I attended my Multi-Rural class last friday, and even after learning of the concept of Impermanency, I couldn't even quite grasp it...well that was until yesterday when I received a strange email from a good friend at home. One of our childhood friends had gotten into a very serious car accident, and was in critical conditions. She asked me if I believed in miracles... and if I believed that he would survive... to which I responded quite confidently yes... yes, miracles do happen, and good guys like Tony don't just die... they just get injured...

But I was wrong...

Impermanency is the belief that nothing in life is permanent... everything must die... and the only thing permanent is death... I understood the first part, and now more clearly, understand the second part. This applies not only to living creatures, but to relationships, furniture, buildings, pens, pencils, erasers... everything.

In Thailand you will find that a lot of the buildings are run down, and they are not upkept. The only things that are upkept are shrines... and that is due to this belief.

Although I didn't grow close to Tony like the other girls did... I still cannot believe he is gone...I read the 2nd email from Trinh multiple times... with each time, I prayed for the message to change to something positive... but it didn't.

Tony's passing seems so surreal to me, is life really that fragile? It will be strange to not see Tony at the temple with his family, and to not see his goofy grins, or hear his funny remarks on any subject possible. RIP Tony Tran.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home